Answers to some of the questions we are often asked.


Tell me about Insurance?

Shipments are not automatically insured. AAS offer “goods in transit insurance” for most commodities, with the exception of “glass”, which can only be shipped at the owner’s risk.

Cover can be added when booking online, by email or over the phone. Goods must be either packed professionally or sent in the original manufacturers packing. There is an extra charge for this service.

Can AAS deliver Hazardous goods?

You will be surprised to know that perfume is classed as a hazardous substance when being shipped internationally. Although you are allowed to place it in your luggage when flying, you are not allowed to ship it unaccompanied. Should you have a client who needs to send perfume/aerosols or similar items, please check first with AAS’s customer service department? Shipping can be arranged with full IATA compliance. This involves correct packing, labelling and certification.

What do I need to know about Duty and Tax?

When shipping outside the EC, goods may attract local duty and tax when entering the destination country. In the USA for example, goods under the value of $800.00 are mostly duty free, however, goods for re-sale will attract import duty. Goods sent to Russia have to be sent “duty paid” if applicable, which AAS can arrange in advance. If unsure, please call AAS on 020 8844 0805 for advice. A quick call or email in advance can often avoid delays.

Quoted prices – do they include VAT?

No, prices are quoted without VAT. VAT on shipping charges is applicable to all EU destinations (includes UK).

What is Volume and / or Dead Weight?

The weight of a shipment may be determined by either its dead-weight or size (volume) whichever is the greater. Large light shipments may be charged by their size. To determine this, simply multiply 3 dimensions by each other and divide by 5000 i.e. box size 30 cms x 30 cms x 20 cms = 18,000.00 / 5000 =3.6 kgs.

Which countries are inside the EU?

The following countries are inside the EU: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the UK.

Commercial Invoice – what is it for and do I need to produce one?

Commercial invoices are required for goods intended for re-sale in another country. The commercial value is the price paid by the buyer to the seller. A pro-forma invoice is used for goods with no commercial value i.e. samples or gifts, to enable customs authorities to determine if duty / tax is applicable.

PO Box and BFPO Box deliveries – is possible and what’s required?

PO Box NO’s must be accompanied by a telephone number to allow our overseas agents to contact the consignee on arrival and determine the full postal address for delivery.

EORI Numbers, what is it used for and do I need/have one?

In order to import goods, your VAT number must also be EORI registered .The EORI number (Economic Operator Registration and Identification) is an identification number which customs will use to identify the sender and their parcels across all EU countries.

Follow us

We track every parcel to delivery… so you don’t have to!

We know you don’t want to spend your time tracking shipments, so our technologies are geared up to do it for you. When you ship with us we’ll let you know when delivery is made… put your feet up!

Watch the video to see how it works.

Get in touch…

To find out more about Associated Air, request a quotation, or get help simply call us on 020 8844 0805, fill out the enquiry form on the right or click the button below for other ways to get in touch.

Contact Us